9.13.2007

Where am I?



(Click the pic above for some pics of the Boston peeps.)

I'm back. My holidays are over and I'm sitting at my desk at my job in Dublin. There's a wee bit of sun peeking out but it's nothing compared to the glorious New England summer that I left behind in Boston.

I keep having dreams lately where people from my life in Dublin meet people from my life in Boston. The dreams dip in and out of time and place, with my college boyfriend (circa 1996) meeting up with my present-day self and my current boss in Ireland meeting my dad in the states. Sometimes the various people get on like a house-on-fire but mostly they can't relate and I start to stress when I realize they have nothing in common - I'm the only bridge that links them and I'm not enough. It's like a rugby fan trying to relate to a Roman history buff. They have no common ground on which to meet. It's all very disconcerting but really totally appropriate to my life right now - my head is in two places at once.

I struggle everytime I go "home," to Boston and then return to my "home" in Dublin adjusting to one place and then the other. I may be able to make it from my parents' house in Boston to my apartment in Dublin in the bones of a day but it takes much longer for my mind to catch up to my circumstance.

Right now, I'm almost there, trying to get back on the ride that is life in Dublin, but I am always aware of what I might be missing in the other place. No matter where I am, what country or continent, I am always thinking of someone who's not there.

No comments: