11.16.2005

Wining and Dining...

Hello all,

Only one more day until my holidays begin...yahoooo! Am cramming about a million things into the next two days so will probably arrive in Boston in need of either a drink or a nap (or both.) Got my black tie work do the night before I fly out (starting my vacation off in style ;)) Tried out my fancy-pants attire at Tom's friend's wedding last weekend and managed not to spill anything on it so it will be ready to bust out again.

The wedding was good craic. It was fun to meet all of Tom's school friends and their significant others and the wedding itself was an all day and night affair (which was great once the one-hour mass was over.) It was an uber-catholic wedding complete with communion and hymns and 'peace be with you's' and passages from Genesis. While there are certain aspects of Christianity that I can get down to (i.e. being good to your fellow man, love is the most important part of life, help people who are less-fortunate etc...) but it takes all my will-power not to run screaming from organised religion with it's potential dogma and corruption. Amazingly, the first bible passage chosen by the couple (I assume) was that horrible one about man needing a helper and popping out one of his ribs to whip up a wee drudge to iron his shirts and do his dishes ;). I can't even remotely imagine why any one would choose that passage to begin married life. To each his own, I guess.

Once the Churchy-goodness was dispensed with, the afternoon was spent with mulled wine and shortbread and then of course, dinner and speeches, and more drinks and dancing and the residence bar and more drinks...Good fun. Irish weddings continue into the wee hours so I've learned. When I went to bed at 4am, the residence bar was still packed with people in their wedding finest singing Christy Moore songs (and writing with permanent marker all over one sad bloke who had the misfortune of falling asleep in his chair...haha.)

Met a few of Tom's former cohorts who I hadn't met before and it was great to hear stories of their school daze and meet their wives/girlfriends who overall were a very nice bunch. It's always so nice to meet quality grrls. (Too bad none of them live in the Dublin Metropolitan area.)

The wedding was in Limavady - one of the northiest parts of Northern Ireland so we broke up the drive by stopping in Belfast for lunch with Nathan and Debbie and another one of Tom's old friend's Johnny. Johnny was with his girlfriend and new baby Oona. Whenever I'm around babies, I'm struck by how much work they must be. Oona seemed to have the energy of 10 men. How does anyone do it? It's a good thing they're cute!

Well, must get back to work. Am compiling a new installation of Irishisms to be unveiled soon. :)

No comments: