11.17.2005

What are you like?

I can't help it. I'm in love with Irish slang so here are a few more little tidbits for your chewing pleasure:

Yer some Langer: Culchy phrase (hopefully you've been dilligently studying your Irishisms and know that a Culchy is a rural type.) American Translation: Yer dummer than a box o' rocks. Yer an ass. Also see: Langer = part of male anatomy best not described in too much detail.

Rare: Nope it's not something hard to find...it's used to describe something / someone who's a bit odd, has bad fashion, or is just wacky / wierd / funny lookin' Used for both people and objects. Usage: Is this skirt the rarest thing you've ever seen? or After I saw those pics of myself on the drink...Jaysus I must be the rarest person!

Rugger-Bugger: The Irish/UK version of a dude-guy who is obsessed with Rugby.

What are you like? Heard this one from a big-eyed girl at Ging's wedding. American translation: What crack are you smoking? Similar use to rare. Example: Enter guy wearing tartan (plaid) trousers...Starts getting a slagging from his friend, "Look at those trousers? What are you like?????

Scratcher: (Noun) Bed. As in, "I didn't get out of my scratcher till noon." Variation: Maggie Thatcher (cockney rhyming slang represent!) Example: Get out of yer Maggie Thatcher ya lazy bastard and come help me make breakfast..."

Well tomorrow I fly back to the old country (for me that is) so it's back to my yank ways fo' sheezy. Beantown's in da house...or something like that. See you all on the flipside.

2 comments:

Kay Richardson said...

What crack are you smoking?

Diana said...

the good kind.