5.22.2008

8k and Running

Much to my shock and surprise, I found myself standing at the starting line of the Dublin Docklands, "Fun Run," the other day, with a number strapped to my back and 8 kilometers of pavement between me and the finish line. When I talked to my family a few days before the run and told them I had signed up to do it, they actually laughed and then pointed out that short legs run in the family. That's support for ya! Needless to say, I had never attempted any kind of public race before, and have always considered distance running to be a torture only marginally above hanging upside down from one's toenails...

To be fair, I do cycle to work everyday and I regularly run a few k at the gym several times a week but the treadmill is a far cry from hitting the pavement with 2,000 other people (and 4 very fit co-workers.) My expectation was that I would run half and walk half and hopefully manage to make it over the finish line before dark...haha.

Amazingly, I managed to jog the entire 8k. I had decided that I would make it to 3k and then walk but when I saw 3k, I decided to push for 4k and then 5k and then 6k... by the time I hit 6k, it seemed easier to just keep going. (forward momentum don'tcha know...) I managed to finish in 55 minutes which may seem ridiculously slow to all you sporty types but for me was a good 15 minutes under my time on the treadmill.

I'll not be running any marathons anytime soon. (My legs are still sore from the run two days later) but it was great to prove to myself that it was actually possible. I have to say though, that the best part of the whole experience was after the race, stripping off my sweaty clothes, taking a really hot shower and eating a big bowl of icecream in my pajamas... mmmmm, the real taste of victory. :)

No comments: