11.23.2005

Wicked Pissa

Oh joy. Home sweet. I love it. I absoultely love being home...Hearing those fateful words, "Welcome to Logan inta'national ai'po't" really were music to my ex-pat ears. Who'da thunk I'd be homesick for the voice of a middle aged townie from Southie. Fucking Fabulous.

Have been having a lovely time in my faux cafe society holiday life. (I'm still waiting to win euro-millions but until then, a week off is the closest thing I get to my fantasy of independent wealth.) Been eating glorious food cooked by my incredibly culinarily talented parents, drinking wine (and whiskey don't worry) with my fabulous ladies (and their fabulous boyfriends/husbands/doormats...) The first morning I was here was one of those heartbreakingly beautiful New England Fall days (that's fall not autumn muthafuckas.) I took a walk to Coolidge Corner (my neighborhood of origin) and visited my tailor run by a greek family who welcomed me back and offered to hem my pants on the spot. Everyone really does know my name...

Strangely, the only bars I've been in since I've been home have been Irish ones...haha Hit up the Sligo in Davis the other night and The Druid last night. I've seen more red walls, Irish street signs and posters for the Lisdoonvarna match making festival in the last few days than I have in months of living in Baile Atha Cliath (that's Dublin for all you non-Irish speakers out there.) Wanted to strike up a conversation with the Irish bartender last night...thought we could wax poetic about Tayto's and Cadbury and Bertie and people who wear trousers and enjoy the craic and say things like Wind yer neck in...but I thought he might not appreciate my yank self represenentin' the isle of green so I decided not to accost him. I suspect there are more Irish bars in my future though...will probably end up at Murphy's or Anam Cara or the Washington Sq. Tavern tonight. Irish Bartenders beware... What about ye ya bleedin' muppet? What'sa Craic? God I'm cool. ;)

Was an absolute Domestic Goddess today. Made a cake before noon (with homemade frosting...) and spent the afternoon makin' lasagna and baked ziti with me mummy. Sadly, my first attempt to frost said cake was a sad disaster as the cake was still warm and turned the frosting into warm, white ooze. Luckily was able to salvage it by refrosting hours later so my cousin will have a (hopefully) tasty cake that doesn't resemble a snow drift for his recent college graduation. I've even got a little black mortarboard to put on the top of it. Wicked kitsch.

Have been eating like a champion...hopefully will still fit into my hip euro clothes...haha...when I return to my regularly scheduled programming. Fakes was kick-ass. Chestnut soup, de-boned turkey rolled with figs and prosiutto, cognac gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, veggie lasagna, flourless chocolate cake, homemade apple pie and a whole host of things to be thankful (fakefull ;)) for. Ended up getting into a heated political debate with Lolo's not-her-boyfriend who grew up in the age of bussing in Boston and hails from Southie. Amazing how the Irish-Americans in Boston have moved so far to the right in comparison with the Irish living in Ireland today. Not-her boyfriend was trying to convince me that, "might makes right," as in, Americas got the big guns and therefore everyone should fall into line behind us and let us be the bullies of the world because we are the defenders of the western world and we hook those pinko-commie europeans up with the oil. Yes, I agreed, American is a powerful nation but with power comes a great responsibility to use that power carefully and constructively...two words which are foreign to the current administration in my opinion. Well, you get the idea. Anyway, despite the fact that we think very, very differently about all things political and Not-her-boyfriend was extremely shitfaced, I found the whole interchange to be really interesting. It's a lot more stimulating to discuss politics with someone who disagrees with you than it is to be in a roomful of bobbing heads. Even if he is completely and totally wrong on every front...haha.

Tonight, the fam arrives and a few of my ladies. Hopefully there will be much eating of the Italian food and more drinks and debauchery post prandial. Wicked Awesome. Pissa in the extreme. Yes Suh.

-Wannabe Townie

No comments: