6.23.2005

Three cheers (or more) for Cleavage

Hey all,

I've just finished my day of training at the Digital Hub. I thought the topic was Project Management today but it was actually Presentation Skills and I had to come up with a 10 minute presentation on a topic of my choosing. Most people did presentations relating to their jobs but seeing as I am only in my fourth week of Spoiltchild Design-dom, I decided to pitch, "Why you should visit Boston." Cuz it's wicked pissa of course. When you really start writing down all the Boston-ness that it Boston, it's quite the list...entertainment, history, nature (or should I say natuh.) Must say, am very proud of my hometown...Go sox...or something.

Katie and Abby have been shopaholics...good thing they came ecquipped with the cash cuz this place is not cheap (as I have, of course, mentioned a million times.) I'm actually getting used to the expense and have found good bargain stores and other ways around getting absolutely stroked living here. It probably helps that I've stopped converting everything into dollars in my head. It's too disturbing. Best not to think about it.

On Katie and Abby's first day, actually first hours in Dublin, they were thrown into the melee that is my neighborhood when a GAA game is on at Croke Park. It was a semi-final game (Dublin vs. Wexford) so of course the Dubs where out in force...and they were certainly appreciating Katie and Abby or at least, Abby's "rack," as someone so eloquently put it. I was slightly disturbed to be honest, especially as we were walking up the main road by this questionable bar and got some sort of a communal howl from literally 50-100 guys. It was deafening. The lads like the ladies in these parts and are apparently not afraid to show it. Katie and Abby loved it, I think. Thankfully. I would have felt bad if they were freaked by all the attention. They pointed out that Ireland has more hottie guys per square inch than anywhere else they've ever been. Well-dressed hottie guys at that...Drunk, well-dressed hottie guys when the GAA is on...who like to howl.

Abby has discovered Bulmers Cider and hasn't stopped discovering it since she got here...haha. (Averi - She would make you proud. Her love affair with the "apple juice," might rival yours...) Took them to a couple of pubs in our 'hood over the past few nights and introduced them to the beautiful thing that is the late night, greasy paper bag of chips with salt and vinegar....mmmmmm.

Have had a pretty interesting week workwise between the training today and the opening of our clients new office building on Monday. Hopefully will not have to go visit this client often though as the nearest train station looks like it's been abandonned for 100 years. No station or station keeper to speak of which is always a bad sign. Everything portable including the benches had been ripped out and carted off. Plenty of steel fencing and a giant padlock to lock the place up (at night I presume...) I felt like I was getting off into south central. There was absolutely no one around except for a few grubby looking little boys watching some dude try to get his pick up truck up an embankment of some sort. So me and my business casual linen skirted self figured out that I had to cross over a garbage filled foot bridge and walk down a weed and garbage choked path to get to the office park. On said path, I found that I had the company of a very large and very alive rat...nice. Strangely, once you get off that path, you're in a giant poshish office park. Lots of modern glass office buildings of all varieties and sizes although for such a large office park, it was surprisingly empty. There was one glass building that was entirely empty of any furniture or people and you could see the sky on the other side right through the building. It was an odd place. Flat expanses of concrete and giant abstract sculptures and empty but attractive office space. I guess given my rat companion at the (practically) burnt out train station, it's not such a surprise that people aren't lining up to move in.

Tomorrow am off to Belfast where Tommy is having a little party at his parents house. I wish you could all beam yourselves there! Not sure what I'll do on Sat. for my birthday yet...I'm sure it will involve eating and drinking but other than that who knows? Tommy gave me an early birthday present of the first season of Six Feet Under (which as you all know is my favorite show ever) so tonight I'm gonna take it easy and maybe watch a few. The crew (being Tom, Katie and Abby) have jetted off to Belfast. He's going to show them the northern coast (which is gorgeous) tomorrow so it should be a good time for them.

I'm off. Hope you're all well.

No comments: